Tuesday 31 December 2019

Looking back on 2019 and a decade too...


Once again it’s time for reflection, not only on the past year but also the last ten years. During the middle of 2008 my focus turned to Australia when I decided to emigrate. Bureaucracy moves slowly so it wasn’t until August 2010 that my visa was approved. 



Bunya Riverside - oil on canvas 1000 mm x 1000 mm

Most of 2010 was occupied with getting ready to move - selling my house, decluttering, and packing up in preparation for a new life in a new country. The decision to move was motivated in part by the resolve to be a full time artist. I set up a website and started a blog - Art Matters. Writing has become a most enjoyable and therapeutic activity. I’m pleased that over the years I have maintained regular posting about my work and life in Brisbane.

Classes at my Hamilton Road Studio were established in July 2011 and continue to be my main income source thanks to support from loyal students. Teaching painting led me to write my first book Colour - A Practical Approach. The first draft was completed in September 2017 but it took  another year to re-write and edit. The completed book was published by Blurb in September 2018. 

Over the years a number of commissions have been fulfilling and challenging. These included paintings for Maverick Travel and Deja Bru cafe. A local business Tradesmen on Time purchased these paintings for their office - Two paintings going to a new home.

This year I have been fortunate to have a wonderful commision to create paintings for Milk Cafe Ashgrove.  This post has all the paintings - More paintings for Milk


Each year I have been fortunate to have had work selected for both the Lethbridge 10,000 and the Rotary Art Spectacular. In addition, I took part in two exhibitions at Percolater Gallery with the cARTwheel Collaborative group. The 2016 Nundah Art Exhibition proved to be a highlight for me. I was awarded the Grand Prize for Riverside Trees.

I regard myself as immensely fortunate - the last ten years have been exciting, extremely challenging but so fulfilling - here's to the next ten.

Riverside Trees  - oil on Linen

And the years in review...









No comments:

Post a Comment