Friday 25 January 2013

Making Moleskine work

In a previous post I grumbled about the Moleskine Sketchbook. I struggled with the fact that it wasn't compatible with watercolour. I know I should really try the watercolour version! When I was preparing to go away before Christmas I decided I had to do something positive with this beautiful red Moleskine sketchbook. It was a gift from some friends in South Africa and I felt guilty that I had not used it much.

While away on holiday I started to experiment. I discovered that Derwent Inktense pencils worked really well on the pages. The colours make a strong statement, so combined with ink I could introduce colour that enhanced the ink lines.

Then the ink in my Lamy Safari ran out so I experimented with a simple Bic ball point pen - and was pleased with the results.

A Breakfast of organic beans with feta on sour dough toast at Organika in Noosa - using a black Bic Cristel M
A box of Acrylic gouache bought in Japan many years ago came out of hiding. This introduced a good surface for ink drawing, especially with a dip pen. I'll be using more of this technique.
Burnt Forest - Noosa Pental acrylic gouache and sepia ink

So I am beginning to love the sketchbook. Knowing its limitations, taking advantage of its strengths and being forced out of my comfort zone - all good things as I face the coming year.

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carol.
    I must say that the drawings a fantastic. Burnt forest I like also. But the drawings are first class. All the best Carol.
    vic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to force myself out of a very comfortable zone too! Love this sketch

    ReplyDelete