Tuesday 30 March 2021

Catching up with drawing every day.

I realised that almost two months have passed since I wrote about my 2021 project of drawing every day. Since then I have had mixed success. There are days with regular drawing and documenting the drawings, then at other times days go by with no work photographed. 

There’s been a mix of digital and analogue; a mix of media - ink, water soluble graphite, watercolour and charcoal. Some days I have a long extended drawing session, other days it’s a quick scribble, and I’m actually fine with that, it’s how life is. 

Subject matter has ranged from flowers and objects used for some of the classes in the Studio to a series of figure studies using photographic references. The figure drawings have been done with water soluble graphite pencils and a water brush or ink and water brush. This allows for a quick tonal drawing using easily portable materials. I like using the Derwent Sketching pencils which come in Light, Medium and Dark wash. 

There are also a number of Sktchy portraits done using Procreate. When drawing digitally, I aim for a result that has the look of an analogue drawing or painting rather than being obviously digital. I also make a concerted effort to limit the number of brushes used in a single work. This way I get to know the individual characteristics of that brush. 

I also realised that when a few days went by without a dedicated drawing being done it was when I was busy with all the animal mother and baby watercolours, so I wasn’t being a slouch!

So here are some of the drawings for February and March. 












No comments:

Post a Comment