Wednesday 31 October 2018

More Inktober - the second half


As I write this, on 24th October, the end of the month is in sight. I have been able to maintain the discipline of doing an ink drawing every day. I must confess that I am now starting to get a little bored and I’m looking forward to November! 

All drawings, with the exception of the collaged portrait, were done in a Stillman & Birn Zeta sketchbook A5. It’s a favourite for ink because of the smooth plate finish. At 270 gsm the paper is tough and even where there is crazy, heavy cross hatching there is no show through on the  back of the page. 


Amellie from Sktchy - Black BIC ballpoint pen


Amellie II. Using the same Sktchy muse as the previous portrait - this time with watercolour, collage and ink.



Rick N from Sktchy - Pilot Metropolitan F nib, Faber Castell brush pens on gesso


Jul Zus  from Sktchy - Pilot Metropolitan F nib with water brush for the wash. 


Pink Roses - Pilot Metropolitan F nib with Daimine Hope Pink and water brush with coloured ballpoint pens.


Mike A from Sktchy - Back to the trusty Black BIC ballpoint pen



Chris Mathews from Sktchy - Black BIC ballpoint pen







Umgeni Reeds I - Lamy Safari 1.5 mm nib with Pelikan Smokey Quartz 


Umgeni Reeds II


Umgeni Reeds 


Gary Dadd from Sktchy - Black BIC ballpoint pen


Spot from Sktchy - Sailor Fude with Sailor red-brown ink.

For the last four days of Inktober I have decided to do a larger drawing, posting as I completed a corner.


Pink Roses - Top LH corner of the last Inktober drawing. 


Bottom LH  corner 


Top RH corner 


Bottom RH corner
And here’s the completed drawing:


Pink Roses - Pilot Metropolitan with Daimine Hope Pink and Waterman Inspired Blue. Water brush for the washes and assorted coloured ball point pens.

I have to admit that last few days have been a struggle. What I have found, though, from the discipline of regular daily drawing, is that I really do enjoy losing myself in an image. The meditative state induced by cross hatching is addictive. Portraits using a simple ballpoint are the most satisfying since the marks have a subtlety not easily achieved with a fountain pen or felt tip pen for that matter.

I think I have found the solution to keeping my interest high and completing some worthwhile drawings. 

I would still plan to draw every day but to do fewer drawings with a more holistic theme. I could perhaps take a few days or a whole week to complete each drawing. At the end of the month I would have a coherent body of work with a meaningful theme instead of 31 disparate drawings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment