Monday 2 January 2012

What's in store for 2012

New beginnings are so energising. I love a new diary – the year stretches before you, filled with promise. The first pages of a brand new sketch book are a blank slate – there are no disappointing drawings or false starts to mar the pages. There’s the promise to do a drawing EVERY day…


Chuck Close - graphite on paper - from a TV image

I love hanging up a fresh calendar in my studio. I always have an artist calendar. Previously I have enjoyed Monet, Rothko, and Leonardo da Vinci. This year it’s Klimt, a gift from my family. This one has some landscapes -Apple Tree and Orchard with Roses as well as some favourites, The Kiss, Judith and Three Ages of Women. His paintings inspire me to experiment with gold and silver leaf in my work.
My plans for the year…
I’ll be continuing my weekly studio art classes. The interaction with my art groups is stimulating and inspiring. I will add regular workshops to that programme as well.  These will cover topics such as experimental drawing, practical colour and elements of composition. I’ll post more details about these when dates are finalised.
My personal creative plans include…
More drawing – I love drawing and want to make this a daily routine. I’ve made a small start already with these charcoal and graphite drawings.


A young Lucien Freud - charcoal on paper - from a TV image


Sculptor Richard Serra talks about the daily practise of drawing in an interview with Charley Rose.  He says that to see is to think and that drawing is another way of thinking. His drawings are monumental and dramatic.
Coupled with this resolve to draw more is the desire to introduce the figure into my drawings and paintings. It’s not something that I have ever really done. I’ve painted portraits but I've never concentrated on the body as subject. Even the photographs I take are more often than not of things and places; seldom does the human form intrude. (The use of the word “intrude” is perhaps telling) I’m not sure yet how this will be accomplished. It’s possible that another item on my list – to experiment with abstract elements can include abstracted figures in some way.
To my loyal readers - thank you for your interest - may the year ahead be exciting and creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment