Wednesday 17 May 2023

A few pet portraits

I continue learning how to work with coloured pencils and after starting with portraits of people, I decided to try my hand at a few pets. 

The first one is Diesel, my daughter’s Boxer. He’s very lively and has the most engaging personality. He loves taking over the sofa.





Diesel - pencil crayons in an Epsilon sketchbook. 

I’m using Caran d’ache Luminance pencils. They’re soft and buttery and have wonderfully intense colours. I also have a few Faber Castell Polychromos pencils. These are a little harder which makes them good for fine details. 

When I visited my son, Warren last year, I did a graphite portrait of his French Bulldog, Harley. This portrait is from a photo taken when she made herself at home on my bed early one morning. 



Harley -  pencil crayons in an Epsilon sketchbook. 

A series of pet portraits would not be complete without a portrait of the boss of my daughter’s family - Diva. I took this photo - at very close range of her as she sat on my lap fixing me with her unblinking stare.

She has perfected ‘The Look’. This often indicates that you are about to get a nip…





Divapencil crayons in an Epsilon sketchbook. 


No comments:

Post a Comment