Wednesday 30 September 2015

A week away

On Sunday I returned from a week away. I spent a few days in Noosa with my family, sketching along the river and on the beach. Then I went to Cedar Pocket for a long weekend of sketching with fellow artists. It was great to be in the country away from the hustle and bustle of the city. 

I spent my time in Noosa along the river and down at the beach – boats and people caught my attention there.

Lochiel 1938 - ink and watercolour Alpha sketchbook

Beach People - ink in Alpha sketchbook

A trip to the Eumundi market was perhaps unwise given that it was school holidays. I drove around in vain looking for a parking place so I gave up and stopped on the side of the road to sketch this old truck.

The Old truck - ink and watercolour Zeta Sketchbook


At Cedar Pocket two themes emerged – trees and bridges. I did a number of sketches of the trees, my attention held by the shapes of the trunks and the spaces in between. These sketches are all in ink and watercolour in an Alpha sketchbook.




Tatnell Bridge on the road to Kin Kin looks in danger of falling down, and indeed it seems in line for an upgrade if the surveyors markers alongside are any indication of proposed work. It will be a pity because the old beams are great to draw. 

Tatnell Bridge on the Kin Kin road, Queensland -ink and watercolour Alpha sketchbook


The second bridge, the Dickabram Bridge, was an old heritage listed dual purpose road-and-rail bridge crossing the Mary River at Miva. It was built in 1886 of wood and steel and is the oldest surviving of its kind. When a vehicle moves over the bridge, rattling over the timber slats, it sounds like thunder. 
Dickabram Bridge on the Mary River at Miva - ink and watercolour Zeta sketchbook

Mary River Panorama 

No comments:

Post a Comment